2003 Honda ST1300A ABS
2003 Honda ST1300A ABS
When Honda first introduced the ST1100, Cycle magazine described its mission as “comfortable high-speed, long-distance passage.” For more than a decade, the ST1100 fulfilled that mission statement admirably, and its 12-year life span speaks volumes of its competence and popularity.
But now, the next-generation ST comes to elevate that original premise to a higher level with a whole new set of credentials, offering even more power, more comfort and better handling.
That’s what the 2003 Honda ST1300 is all about: Riding hard and riding long.
The ST1300ABS adds the safety of anti-lock brakes, the comfort of an electrically-adjustable windscreen and the convenience of a remote rear shock preload adjuster to the already capable ST1300.
New for 2003
· Powerful, new liquid-cooled 1261cc longitudinally mounted V-4 engine produces 125 bhp at 8000 rpm and 85 lb./ft. of torque at 6000 rpm for effortless acceleration and passing power.
· The ST1300A with ABS is 10 kilograms lighter than the ST1100A with ABS. Together with a 63.5-millimetre-shorter wheelbase of 1491mm, the new ST1300A provides exceptional sporting feel.
· Engine length is shortened by 51mm compared to the ST1100, permitting optimum rider and passenger ergonomics. Placing the rider 40mm closer to the steering axis also improves steering feel and helps deliver even better handling.
· Honda’s latest programmed fuel injection (PGM-FI) and electronic digital ignition maximize power output and provide immediate throttle response.
· All-new aluminum frame combines optimal rigidity and tuned flex to produce excellent handling, superb riding comfort and wonderful road feel.
· Touring features include new full-coverage bodywork, three-way adjustable rider’s seat, and two large, 35-litre detachable saddlebags.
· The 2003 ST1300 meets the California Air Resources Board (CARB) 2008 emissions standards.
Unique ST1300A Features
· Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) provides for even better braking control in emergency conditions over a wide range of road conditions.
· Push-button, motor-driven windscreen adjustability to alter height and angle.
· Convenient remote rear spring prelaod adjuster allows easy adjustment for the addition of a passenger.
· Compact, powerful 1261cc DOHC 90-degree V-4 engine with an oversquare bore and stroke of 78mm x 66mm. Longitudinal engine-mounting eliminates an inefficient 90-degree turn in the power flow for improved drivetrain efficiency.
· The crankshaft is lowered 20mm in the crankcase, lowering the ST1300’s overall center of gravity for improved handling. The 360 degree crank contributes to a very broad powerband. Two engine counterbalancers virtually eliminate primary and secondary vibration. Both gear-driven counterbalancer shafts are installed in the lower crankcase, to the left side of the crankshaft. The first shaft is driven directly by the crankshaft at a 2:1 ratio. The second shaft is positioned below the first and is driven in the opposite direction by the first balancer shaft’s drive gear. The combination of these two balancers assures a supremely comfortable ride for the long-distance touring rider.
· Aluminum composite cylinder sleeves are high-pressure-formed from sintered aluminum powder impregnated with ceramic and graphite. The composite sleeves provide better wear resistance and superior heat dissipation compared to conventional sleeves.
· New silent-type cam-chain drive eliminates the previous model’s wider belt-driven cam drive, reducing engine length 10mm and lowering overall weight.
· Large, 31mm intake valves and 27mm exhaust valves feed a redesigned combustion chamber with a 10.8:1 compression ratio.
· Direct shim-under-bucket valve actuation system ensures high-rpm durability and allows 25,000 kilometre valve maintenance intervals.
· Four 36mm throttle bodies.
· High-pressure PGM-FI delivers fuel at 50 psi into each injector.
· Fuel is delivered through 12 laser-drilled nozzle holes in each injector, producing a very fine spray and a highly combustible air/fuel charge for maximum combustion efficiency and power.
· PGM-FI combines a sophisticated throttle sensor, advanced 3-D digital fuel injection and ignition mapping and precisely metered fuel delivery to produce smooth and linear throttle response.
· ECU-controlled closed-loop emission control system utilizes two oxygen sensors to constantly deliver a precise air/fuel mixture, while two exhaust catalyzers further reduce emissions of carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons and oxides of nitrogen.
· Auto-enriching system is integrated into PGM-FI module, optimizing the air/fuel mixture on cold starts and eliminating the need for a manual choke.
· Four-into-two stainless steel exhaust system features a pair of attractive triangular-section, 5.4-litre mufflers with stainless steel heat shields.
· Dampers on the transmission mainshaft, clutch and drive shaft reduce noise, vibration and driveline lash.
· High-output, 480-watt air-cooled alternator is relocated between the cylinder banks, contributing to a shorter and more compact engine design.
· Redesigned U-shape aluminum radiator has 8.2 percent greater cooling capacity, and a new ring-type fan draws air through the radiator at low speeds to ensure stable operating temperatures for consistent performance and long engine life.
· Sturdy eight-plate hydraulic clutch.
· All-new cassette-type five-speed transmission shortens overall engine length by 40mm and has approximately 5 percent lower gear ratios than the ST1100 for quicker acceleration and excellent roll-on performance.
· Quiet and reliable shaft-drive system is virtually maintenance-free.
· All-new aluminum frame is 1.1 kg. lighter than the steel frame it replaces and features a massive steering head casting and triple-box-section spars. The V-4 engine serves as a tuned, stressed frame member. The solid engine-mounting system utilizes specially designed hangers and carefully matched mounting bolts to provide both excellent road feel and minimal engine vibration.
· New lightweight aluminum swingarm is 0.9 kg. lighter than the steel unit it replaces and is carefully matched to the frame to provide an ideal balance of rigidity and tuned flex for optimal handling.
· Rigid aluminum upper triple-clamp and a 45mm Honda Multi-Action System(tm) (HMAS(tm)) cartridge front fork provide excellent suspension control in a wide range of riding conditions.
· The rear suspension incorporates a single shock, which mounts directly on the swingarm. The shock offers 30mm of spring preload adjustability.
· Linked Braking System(tm) (LBS(tm)) uses a second master cylinder and a proportional control valve (PCV) to couple the three-piston calipers of the dual-disc front and single-disc rear brakes for even better braking feel, while providing the peace of mind of an LBS system. Using the front brake lever activates the outer two pistons of the front calipers and the two outer pistons of the rear caliper. Rear pedal engagement activates the center piston of the rear brake caliper and the center pistons of the front calipers, and a delay valve slows initial front brake response to minimize front-end dive.
· Anti-lock brake (ABS) system combines with LBS for a wide range of braking and steering control. ABS features an electric-motor-driven modulator that gives quick, precise braking pressure adjustments and smooth ABS operation. The system incorporates an integrated ECU controller, self-diagnostics with an interactive ECU test function, and automatic protection against system failure.
· The ST1300’s 310mm stainless steel floating front brake discs feature a lightweight seven-spoke inner rotor, saving a total of 2.1 kg. of unsprung weight over the previous model. The 316mm rear rotor saves another 300 grams, further reducing unsprung weight.
· Three-spoke U-section cast aluminum 5.0-inch-wide rear wheel is nearly 255 grams lighter than the previous design and sports a large, low-profile 170/60ZR-17 radial tire. The three-spoke 3.5-inch-wide front wheel is 1.2 kg. lighter and carries a 120/70ZR-18 radial tire.
· Full-coverage bodywork features an Aero-Ellipse form that incorporates striking parabolic lines to accentuate the look of speed as well as enhance stability at high speeds.
· New three-position rider’s seat provides an adjustment range of 30mm vertically and 25mm horizontally. From the forward and lowest position, the seat can be moved up 15mm and back approximately 12.5mm to the middle position and again by the same amount to the highest rear position.
· A motor-driven adjustable windscreen offers 180mm and 13 degrees of adjustability for greater wind protection and touring comfort. A thumb-operated pushbutton on the left handlebar operates the windscreen motor. An additional 58mm of manual adjustment is possible by repositioning the windshield on the mounting brackets. (Non-ABS versions does not have motor-driven windscreen.)
· Newly designed lockable and detachable saddlebags hold 35 litres each (large enough for a full-face helmet). The saddlebags contain straps to limit bag opening to 90 degrees to better secure the contents. The straps are easily unbuckled when the bags are dismounted, permitting full access.
· Rugged, plastic-covered body-protector stays extend outward to protect the bodywork in case of a tip-over.
· Dual-section fuel tank places 21 litres of fuel in the conventional tank location with an additional 8 litres located in a sub-tank located low in the chassis. This results in an increase in fuel capacity and an even weight distribution for fuel.
· An electric fuel pump operates inside the sub-tank, providing consistent fuel pressure for the PGM-FI system.
· Headlight features dual lenses with twin-filament H4 low/high beam bulbs and multi-reflectors.
· A convenient push button located on the left side of the fairing electrically adjusts the headlight height over a 2.5 degree range.
· Roomy cockpit and ergonomically designed dual-density seat offer true long-haul comfort.
· Attractive, lightweight two-piece aluminum handlebars.
· A locking left-side fairing pocket offers the carrying capacity of an automobile console; a weather-resistant vinyl flap covers the right-side pocket.
· Breakaway rear view mirrors minimize damage in the event of a tipover.
· Padded passenger grabrails.
· Convenient centerstand assist-lever folds neatly away when not in use.
· Integrated front and rear turn signals.
· Integrated ignition switch/fork lock. A single ignition key operates all locks.
1261cc liquid-cooled longitudinally mounted 90-degree V-4
Bore and Stroke
78mm x 66mm
DOHC; four valves per cylinder
PGM-FI with automatic enricher circuit
45mm HMAS cartridge fork; 116 millimetres travel
Pro-Link single HMAS gas-charged shock with five-position spring preload adjustability; 122 millimetres travel
Dual full-floating 310mm discs with LBS three-piston caliper; ABS anti-lock brakes
Single 316mm disc with LBS three-piston caliper; ABS anti-lock brakes
1491mm (58.7 in.)
790mm (+/- 15mm ); 31.1 in. (+/- 0.6 in.)
290 kg (637 lb.)
29 litres (6.4 Imp. gal.)
Specifications are subject to change without notice, in accordance with national regulation and legislations.