2006 Honda RC51
2006 Honda RC51
With World and National championships to its credit, the 133-horsepower V-twin RC51 has an unparalleled pedigree.
Features & Benefits
New for 2006
– New silver Honda wing on fuel tank.
– Prodigious power is produced across a broad rpm band, peaking with 133 bhp at 10,000 rpm and 71 lb./ft. of torque at 8000 rpm in street-legal trim.
– Large, 62mm fuel injection throttle bodies inspired by HRC’s championship works racers.
– Two fuel injectors for each cylinder feature 12 laser-drilled jet holes in each injector tip for finer fuel atomization, resulting in more responsive throttle performance and faster, more efficient combustion for stronger power output.
– Twin side-mounted radiators each have electric cooling fans to improve engine cooling.
– HRC-designed press-forged aluminum swingarm.
– HRC-designed integrated rear shock reservoir is positioned for easy fitment of center-up high-performance competition exhaust.
– Five-spoke wheels feature aerodynamic forward-facing V-shaped spokes and Dunlop D208 tires.
– Large underseat tool tray.
– 999cc DOHC eight-valve 90° V-twin engine is specially designed to withstand the rigors of Superbike competition.
– Centrally mounted ram-air intake duct routes cool, pressurized air directly through the frame’s steering head structure to the 9.0-liter airbox, improving intake efficiency while slimming the aerodynamic profile. The ram-air duct doubles as a front cowl stay, shaving 12 ounces off of a conventional mounting system.
– Each cylinder head features large, 40mm intake and 34mm exhaust valves with a 24 degree included valve angle. This provides a short, direct path for the air/fuel charge entering the combustion chamber and results in high power output.
– Gear-driven camshafts utilize three-axis drive gears to maintain accurate valve timing and durability at sustained high engine speeds.
– Direct shim-under-bucket valve actuation system ensures high-rpm durability, and allows 16,000-mile valve maintenance intervals.
– Cast aluminum pistons are screen-printed with solid LUB-Coat finish to minimize friction between the piston and cylinder wall.
– Aluminum composite cylinder sleeves are high-pressure-formed from sintered aluminum powder impregnated with ceramic and graphite. The lightweight composite sleeves provide better wear resistance and superior heat dissipation compared to conventional sleeves.
– Nutless connecting rods feature bolts threaded directly into tapped holes in rods.
– Design is lighter than conventional bolt-and-nut combination. Carburized rods provide strength and durability under high loads.
– Crankshaft center lubrication system carries oil to main and connecting rod bearings through passages in the crankshaft as well as conventional journals, allowing lower main-gallery oil pressure and a smaller oil pump design, consuming less horsepower at high engine speeds.
– Iridium-tip spark plugs require less voltage and maintain ignition performance in demanding conditions.
– At operating speed, side-mounted dual radiators utilize low pressure of airflow passing over outer surface of cowling to draw air through from the inside. Side positioning allows optimal placement of engine for a low center of gravity and superb handling and permits flow of air to reach cylinders and exhaust pipes for enhanced cooling efficiency.
– Air-cooled aluminum oil cooler.
– Magnesium head cover, clutch cover and left-rear sprocket cover.
– All-stainless two-into-one-into-two exhaust system with two 5.3-liter canister-style mufflers with a buffed finish.
– Seven-plate clutch design is compact and tough, featuring durable friction plate material.
– Smooth-shifting close-ratio six-speed transmission features ratios carefully matched to the engine’s powerband.
– Twin-spar extruded aluminum frame features a modified Pro Frame® design utilizing a swingarm pivot that incorporates both engine-crankcase- and frame-mounted pivot points. The frame sideplates extend underneath the swingarm and join to form a D-shape swingarm mounting enclosure. This combination provides an extremely rigid chassis while offering excellent road feel.
– Tapered and braced box-section swingarm provides exceptional lateral and torsional rigidity.
– 43mm inverted aluminum-slider Honda Multi-Action System (HMAS) cartridge fork with 5.1 inches of travel features spring preload, rebound and compression damping adjustability, and offers precise action and superb rigidity.
– Pro-Link® rear suspension features 4.7 inches of travel and a high-quality 40mm HMAS shock with integrally cast damper reservoir. Spring preload, rebound and compression damping adjustability produces superior rear wheel control.
– Braking system features 320mm front discs floating on seven stainless steel pins with four-piston calipers, and a 220mm rear disc with a single-piston caliper for exceptional stopping power.
– Distinctive bodywork features a dual-headlight design with a centrally located ram-air duct, a narrow-profile fuel tank and a single-piece tail section.
– Black painted frame, wheels and swingarm.
– Unique bank-angle sensor shuts off fuel supply to PGM-FI system if the motorcycle tips over, but is unaffected by bumps and vibration during normal operation.
– High-output, 335-watt AC generator.
– Dual headlights feature asymmetric low/high beam operation; computer-designed multi-reflectors and two 55W H7 bulbs behind clear plastic lenses provide a broad lighting pattern and superb illumination.
– Lightweight instrument display includes electronic LCD tachometer and speedometer, fuel indicator, odometer, tripmeter and temperature gauge.
– Handlebar switches and controls use internationally approved ISO graphic symbols.
– Transferable one-year, unlimited-mileage limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
– Ownership includes one-year complimentary membership for an individual in the Honda Rider’s Club of America™ (HRCA®). Benefits include: discounts, travel benefits, roadside assistance, one year of Honda Red Rider™ magazine, access to HRCA Clubhouse Web site (www.hrca.honda.com) and access online to Honda Common Service Manual. For HRCA details, call 1-800-847-HRCA. For dealers only, please call (310) 783-3958.
– Tank Pad.
– Magnetic Tank Bag (Black).
Engine Type: 999cc liquid-cooled 90° V-twin
Bore and Stroke: 100mm x 63.6mm
Compression Ratio: 10.8:1
Valve Train: DOHC; four valves per cylinder
Carburetion: PGM-FI with two injectors per cylinder
Ignition: Computer-controlled digital with three-dimensional mapping
Transmission: Close-ratio six-speed
Final Drive: #530 O-ring-sealed chain
Front: 43mm inverted HMAS cartridge fork with spring preload, rebound and compression damping adjustability; 5.1 inches travel
Rear: Pro-Link HMAS single shock with spring preload, rebound and compression damping adjustability; 4.7 inches travel
Front: Dual full-floating 320mm discs with four-piston calipers
Rear: Single 220mm disc with single-piston caliper
Front: 120/70ZR-17 radial
Rear: 190/50R-17 radial
Wheelbase: 55.9 inches
Rake (Caster Angle): 23.3°
Trail: 94.6mm (3.7 inches)
Seat Height: 32.5 inches
Dry Weight: 439 pounds
Fuel Capacity: 4.8 gallons, including 1.2-gallon reserve
Color: Black/Metallic Gray
Meets current CARB and EPA standards.
California version differs slightly due to emissions equipment.