2007 Yamaha YZF-R1
2007 Yamaha YZF-R1
The new R1 features more ground breaking technology than ever seen before.
From chip controlled throttle and electronic variable intake funnels, to the new more advanced Deltabox V frame design, Yamaha strives to offer experienced riders a whole new level of exhilaration and riding excitement. Despite an increase in power, the new ’07 R1 is more obedient and more civilized than ever before.
• New ultra-lightweight, compact, 998cc, DOHC, 16-valve, liquid-cooled, 40 degree inclined, in-line four-cylinder engine produces incredible horsepower.
• The new 4-valve cylinder head design features a new more compact combustion chamber that utilizes lightweight, trick titanium valves on the intake side. The 4-valve design maximizes breathing efficiency and overall engine performance. This design also achieves cleaner emissions too. The titanium intake valves are 33mm in diameter while the steel exhaust valves are 27mm in diameter. Lightweight yet super strong VX alloy valve springs controlled valve movement.
• Steep valve angles, 11.5 degrees on the intake side and 12.5 degrees on the exhaust produce a more compact combustion chamber.
• The lightweight titanium intake valves reduce the reciprocating weight of the intake valves allowing for higher rpms without the concern of valve float. The use of lightweight “Ti” valves has allowed the engineers at Yamaha to use a 4-valve format. In the past, the use of 5 smaller valves allowed a higher rpm limit since each of the “smaller” valves was relatively light. The use of light weight high tech titanium now means the engineers no longer have to use the 5-valve design to achieve the same high rpms. Yamaha will not abandon the 5-valve format on YZ models … it has its own advantages such as a less tall cylinder head design (lower center of gravity) since the actual valve “lift” can be reduced with 5-valves.
• Revised, short design valve guides provide a less restrictive flow of fuel / air flow into the combustion chamber for improved power output. The diameter of the guides match the new valve stem diameters (5mm for the intake & 4.5mm for the exhaust)
• Computer optimized smooth intake ports increased intake air volume for increased power output.
• Squish area has been optimized for maximum engine performance. The compression ratio is now 12.7:1. Bore and stroke remains the same as the previous model.
• All new, lightweight, high lift, high performance intake and exhaust cams help to provide incredible horsepower and fast engine response. The larger diameter hollow camshafts (+2 mm) feature greater valve lift and new valve timing for increased power.
• Automatic cam chain tensioner reduces both maintenance and engine mechanical noise.
• New short skirt, lightweight forged pistons feature 4 valve “pockets” (instead of 5) to match the change to the new 4-valve head design. Special ribs in the piston pin area add rigidity for great reliability.
• Revised connecting rods are carburized and use a nutless design. The lower end “cap” of the rod is made from the same piece of material as the upper portion; this design is known as “fracture splitting”. This design aids establishing true big end roundness and greater precision in con rod dimensions. The upper “shoulder area” of the con rods has been revised for added strength.
• Closed deck cylinder design allows the cylinders to be spaced more closely together, allowing a narrower engine, since there are no coolant passages in the cylinder body.
• The cylinder block is a stand-alone piece; the benefit is improved sealing, and easier serviceability.
• Ceramic composite cylinder “bores” are a “liner less” design with the ceramic coating sprayed directly on the aluminum block to ensure uniform heat dissipation for consistent power delivery, reduced oil consumption, reduced friction and reduced weight.
• Lightweight revised crankshaft provides super quick engine response. The surface treatment of the crank is high frequency quench type.
• The ACM or alternator is located on the backside of the cylinder block to reduce crankcase width. The compact ACM uses rare earth magnets and spins at 1.24 times the engine rpm to produce lots of electrical output.
• Narrow, compact crankcases allow for maximum lean angles.
• Revised Mikuni fuel injection system uses 45mm throttle bodies fitted with T.P.S. (Throttle Position Sensor). The secondary motor-driven sub valves have been eliminated from the throttle bodies due to the addition of the YCC-T. An oxygen sensor has been fitted into the exhaust making this a “closed loop” type FI system. The benefits include excellent throttle response, great fuel economy, reduced emissions, stable idling and no choke to fuss with during start up.
• The actual injectors are Denso “long nose” type injectors with a high dynamic range and 12-spray holes for improved power and response across the entire rev range.
• The fuel injection’s lightweight Electronic Control Unit (ECU) utilizes a powerful 32-bit processor for fast control of the injection process. The compact design also reduces weight.
• All new YCC-I or Yamaha’s Chip Controlled Intake means the intake funnels / stacks vary in length depending on engine rpms and throttle opening. At low to mid rpms the funnels are longer and as the rpms increase, the funnels reduce in length via an electric-control servo motor to provide maximum horsepower, torque and throttle response at all rpms. The range of movement is from 65mm to 140mm. The all new YCC-I provides the best of both worlds …solid low rpm performance with amazing high rpm power. YCC-I ensures that the intake tracts are always “tuned” to the ideal length for the prevailing engine rpm. It takes 0.3 of a second for the funnels to move from the highest to the lowest position.
• The new YCC-I electric-control servo motor-driven variable intake funnel system is a world’s 1st on a production motorcycle.
• Yamaha Chip Control Throttle (YCC-T) is now fitted to the 2007 R1. This system electronically controls the throttle valves for outstanding response and improved controllability at all rpms. The YCC-T is used to provide even more control of the intake air volume for smoother torque character. Similar to the R6 design, the YCC-T features 3 – ECU’s inside the main ECU to control ignition, fuel injection and the YCC-T. This special ECU is capable of responding to changes at a speed of 1000th of a second.
• The rider can “mechanically close” the throttles by simply closing the throttle twist grip.
• Twin electrode NGK CR9EK spark plugs.
• Revised compact close-ratio 6-speed transmission features optimized gear ratios for maximum performance. The revised “stacked” 3-axis gearbox / clutch design stacks input/output shafts to create a low center of gravity and keeps overall engine size shorter front to back. As a result, the stacked design gives the engineers the freedom to place the engine in the “sweet spot” of the frame for optimum weight balance for awesome handling.
• The revised transmission features a longer main axle to accommodate the new slipper or back torque limiter clutch.
• The all new slipper or back limiter clutch assembly reduces rear wheel hop when making hard down shifts or under hard braking. Key benefit is reduced lap times and smoother control when riding aggressively during a race or track day.
• A multi plate clutch is used, utilizing coil springs and paper based fiber plates.
• Revised high capacity water pump features a new plastic impeller.
• “Ram Air” system “force feeds” cool air via dual ducts located below the headlights into the intake system. As speed increases the air velocity in the system increases and pressurizes the air box. This “force fed” air helps the engine develop maximum high rpm power. For 2007 the ram air ducts have increased in size to allow more air to enter the system at high speed.
• Newly designed 7.3 liter air box maximizes performance. A viscous type air filter is utilized.
• New 4 into 2 into 1 into 2 titanium exhaust system maximizes power output, reduces weight and improves aerodynamics. The dual under seat mufflers have been revised to improve power and looks. This new exhaust system provides an aggressive sound as well as a great styling highlight. This revised system contains two 3-way catalyziers and an oxygen sensor (note: the catalyst tube is made of stainless steel). The catalytic converters reduces harmful CO and HC exhaust emissions while the oxygen sensor provides feedback to the ECU to maintain optimum fuel/air mixture at all times.
• EXUP System (Exhaust Ultimate Power Valve) utilizes dual titanium butterfly valves that prevent the “blow back” phenomenon caused by “valve overlap”. This design reduces weight and maximizes cornering clearance. The EXUP system eliminates “flat spots” in the power band and reduces emissions too.
• Revised, compact, high-efficiency curved radiator features dual ring-type fans for maximum cooling efficiency. The cooling fins are more closely spaced, thereby improving heat dissipation Vs the ’06 version. This curved rad and twin fan design produces more airflow than conventional flat designs to maintain optimum engine temperatures for consistent power output.
• Large liquid-cooled oil cooler maintains stable lubricant temperatures for extended engine life. Convenient cartridge style spin-off oil filter.
• Convenient clutch cover sightglass ensures easy oil level inspection.
• Revised high performance direct ignition coils (ignition coil is built into the spark plug cap) reduce weight while iridium spark plugs and high-output magneto deliver increased spark energy.
• Revised aluminum Deltabox V frame has been re-designed to offer an optimized rigidity balance to maximize handling performance. This new frame (it may look the same as the old frame but don’t be fooled … it is significantly different) is very rigid or stiff at the head pipe, engine mounts and swingarm pivot point. In other areas, material has been carefully removed to allow “tuned flex”. Finished in black, this frame boasts a compact 1415mm (55.7″) wheelbase. The revised frame features the elimination of the front cross member and the addition of reinforcing ribs on the front to mid area of the main spars. The swingarm pivot has been raised by 3mm to minimize the chain tension effect under hard acceleration, providing more stable handling. The engine is a fully stressed chassis member to maximize handling. Stability, a key to great handling, is unsurpassed while the ability to hold a line under hard acceleration is excellent.
• Detachable aluminum sub frame means easier rear shock access and a less costly repair if the unit is “looped out”.
• New extra-long, lightweight aluminum C.F. (controlled filling) die cast “truss-type” swingarm provides great torsional rigidity for class leading handling and maneuverability. The distance between the swingarm pivot and the rear axle has been lengthened to 597.2mm for improved “turn-in” abilities and rear wheel traction. The torsional rigidity of this new swingarm is increased by 30%
• The Deltabox V chassis offers an incredible 56 degree lean angle.
• Revised fork off set has been reduced from 30mm to 25mm for 2007. The change improves both rigidity and handling.
• Revised forged aluminum lower triple clamp features an increase in thickness from 35 to 40mm for increased rigidity.
• Revised fully adjustable 43mm Kayaba inverted fork features 120mm (4.7″) of wheel travel. The thickness of the inner tube and the shape of the outer tube has been optimized. The size of the new, internal aluminum piston is now 24mm up from 20mm for improved damping performance, and the piston rod is now lightweight aluminum. The axle bracket has also been changed to accommodate the new 6-piston calipers. The spring rate has been revised too. The adjustable design allows the rider to tailor suspension settings to match rider weight and road /track conditions to maximize handling and suspension performance. There is 9-way spring preload adjustability plus 25-way compression damping and 26-way rebound damping adjustability.
• Revised link Monocross rear suspension utilizes a fully adjustable piggyback-style rear shock. The shock spring rate has been increased, the internal piston has been modified to reduce friction and a 2-way (hi speed / low speed) compression adjuster has been added. The rising or progressive rate has been revised from 8% to 14% increasing the progressive function. Adjustments include 9 steps of spring preload adjustability, 20-way high speed compression damping, 4 -way low speed compression damping and 20-way rebound damping adjustability. The reserve sub tank is mounted horizontally to accommodate the under seat exhaust. The adjustable design allows the rider to tailor suspension settings to match rider weight and road /track conditions to maximize handling and suspension performance.
• Steering damper is located under the upper triple clamp. Its special design is sensitive to the speed of the damper shaft, the faster the movement the more damping and the slower the movement the less damping.
• All new radial mount 6-piston calipers squeeze revised, fully floating 310mm dual front rotors. Seperate pads are used for each piston. The result is incredible braking performance with excellent control and lever feedback.
• Brembo radial pump master cylinder with 16mm piston is a direct GP race innovation. The lever is adjustable for various hand sizes.
• Single piston (aluminum) slide-type Nissin rear caliper squeezes a lightweight 220mm rotor.
• Rugged yet lightweight 5-spoke mag wheels front and rear. The wheels utilize hollow “spokes” to reduce unsprung weight for superior handling. Front rim size is a MT3.50 x 17 while the rear is MT6.00 x17.
• Fuel tank design provides excellent knee grip for hard braking and great rider maneuverability. The capacity is 18 liters with a 3.4 liter reserve.
• Immobilizer ignition system is designed to reduce the possibility of “ride away” theft. This system must recognize the “coded ignition key” in order for the unit to start. If the immobolizer ignition does not recognize the key (or a theft’s screwdriver or other type of “jimmy tool”) the bike will not start even if the ignition is turned or forced into the on position. If the system does not recognize the coded chip in the ignition key, it will not allow the ignition system or starter motor to function.
• New race inspired fairing improves both aerodynamics and style. The new fairing bodywork features a slant nose front profile for aerodynamic streamlining, with engine revealing side cut outs. Ram air duct sizes have also been increased.
• Revised windshield is 10mm taller than in ’06 and now features a “screw less” design for a cleaner, more trick appearance.
• Revised race inspired lightweight instrumentation includes a digital speedo, analog tachometer, dual tripmeters, clock, and fuel trip meter. The console also features adjustable back lighting, adjustable shift light and a low fuel warning light. Other key features include an integrated stop watch or lap timer with split time mode and an air intake temperature display. The lap timer is controlled by the starter switch button for added convenience and ease of use
• Dual 55-watt projector (low beam) and dual multi-reflector (high beam) headlights feature a sleek, cat-eye profile for superb aerodynamics, unique styling and excellent visibility. Both headlights light on low beam and all four headlights light on high beam.
• Revised LED taillight reduces weight and power consumption while providing a brilliant eye catching light. The lens is white while the LEDs are red. The shape has been modified for improved styling.
• The seating position offers a very sporty yet comfortable riding position. The seat has been revised for improved comfort.
• Lightweight forged footpegs.
• Extensive use of hollow bolts and lightweight fasteners help trim overall weight.
• Heavy-duty #530 O-ring drive chain.
• Low maintenance, lightweight, sealed battery.
• Convenient fold out under seat bungee cord straps.
The YZF-R1 offers a significant level of power and performance. It is not intended for novice or inexperienced riders.
Type 998cc, liquid-cooled, 16-valve, DOHC, inline four-cylinder
Bore x Stroke 77 x 53.6mm
Compression Ratio 12.7:1
Carburetion Fuel Injection with YCC-T and YCC-I
Ignition Digital TCI
Transmission 6-speed w/multi-plate slipper clutch
Final Drive #530 O-ring chain
Suspension/Front 43mm inverted telescopic fork w/adjustable preload, compression damping, rebound damping; 4.7″ travel
Suspension/Rear Single shock w/piggyback reservoir; adjustable for hi-/lo-speed compression damping, rebound damping, spring preload; 5.1″ travel
Brakes/Front Dual 310mm discs; radial-mount forged 6-piston calipers
Brakes/Rear 220mm disc w/single-piston caliper
Seat Height 32.9”
Rake (Caster Angle) 24.0°
Fuel Capacity 4.75 gal.
Dry Weight 390 lbs.
Main Jet Not Applicable
Main Air Jet Not Applicable
Jet Needle Not Applicable
Needle Jet Not Applicable
Pilot Air Jet 1 Not Applicable
Pilot Outlet Not Applicable
Pilot Jet Not Applicable
Primary Reduction Ratio 65/43 (1.512)
Secondary Reduction Ratio 45/17 (2.647)
Gear Ratio – 1st Gear 38/15 (2.533)
Gear Ratio – 2nd Gear 33/16 (2.063)
Gear Ratio – 3rd Gear 37/21 (1.762)
Gear Ratio – 4th Gear 35/23 (1.522)
Gear Ratio – 5th Gear 30/22 (1.364)
Gear Ratio – 6th Gear 33/26 (1.269)
Warranty 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)
Engine liquid-cooled, DOHC, 16-valve, slant block, inline four stroke
Displacement 998 cc
Bore and Stroke 77 x 53.6 mm
Compression Ratio 12.7:1
Maximum Torque TBA
Fuel Delivery 45 mm Mikuni throttle body fuel injection
Lubrication Wet sump
Ignition Digital TCI
Transmission 6 speed
Final Drive O-ring chain
Suspension (Front) Fully adjustable 43 mm inverted fork
Suspension (Rear) Fully adjustable link Monocross
Brakes (Front) Dual 310 mm discs w/6-piston calipers
Brakes (Rear) 220 mm disc w/6-piston calipers
Tires (Front) 120/70 ZR17
Tires (Rear) 190/50 ZR17
Length 2,060 mm (81.1″)
Width 720 mm (28.3”)
Height 1,110 mm (43.7″)
Wheelbase 1,415 mm (55.7”)
Rake / Trail 24° / 102 mm (4″)
Ground Clearance 135 mm (5.3″)
Seat Height 835 mm (32.9”)
Dry Weight 177 kg (389.4 lb)
Fuel Capacity 18 litres (4.0 Imp. gal.)
Colour(s) Yamaha Blue; Deep Metallic Red; Dark Metallic Bluish Grey
USA: $11,599 (Team Yamaha Blue) Available from November 2006
$11,699 (Charcoal Silver) Available from November 2006
$11,699 (Candy Red) Available from November 2006